My name is Rob. I am the owner of Tomuno, an eco-friendly, small business located in Boston, MA. Natural rubber yoga mats are not for everyone. Unlike plastic yoga mats they require special care & cleaning. I always love hearing from yogis. If you have a specific question please post a question here and I will do my best to answer?
Please note that our mats are specifically designed for UNHEATED yoga and not recommended for hot yoga usage?
Straight out of the box:
1) Please allow a few weeks for the mat’s grip to ‘break in’ fully. Washing your mat (pls see below) can accelerate the grip.
1) If you use massage oils or body lotions, please shower before practicing yoga.
2) DO NOT DRY OR STORE IN DIRECT SUNLIGHT.
3) Please avoid all yoga mat sprays, washes, and soaps made with ‘essential oils’, tea tree oil, etc. Some oils, by definition, cause slipperiness or corrode rubber.
4) Please do not put in a washing machine.
5) Please do not use harsh chemical cleaners or abrasives.
FOR DAILY CLEANINGS: wipe with a soft cloth and water.
FOR OCCASIONAL DEEP CLEANINGS:
1) PLEASE WASH with a minimal amount of mild soap OR a 50/50 mix of organic cider vinegar and water (1/4 cup combined). Simple soaps like Ivory are best. ‘Moisturizing’ soaps, organic soaps, essential oil soaps may cause slipperiness and be hard to rinse.
2) PLEASE RINSE thoroughly (but please never soak). Rubber is very sponge-like. Minimal amounts of soap will make rinsing easier. The vinegar wash is easier to rinse than soap. A soapy mat will be slippery.
3) PLEASE AIR DRY your mat IN THE SHADE. Drying may take 24-48 hours.
The main reasons why yogis report slipperiness are:
1) Wiping ‘essential oils’ on yoga mats. Some oils cause slipperiness.
2) Leaving soap in the mat after washing.
3) Accumulation of skin lotions and massage oils on mat over time.
Well, I hope our mat helps your yoga practice.
Amazon product reviews wanted! Please help an eco-friendly business grow.
Want videos that show the difference between plastic and rubber yoga mats?
Visit the best yoga mat review filmed by an industry insider today! Visit our video review today at: Best Yoga Mat Reviews of 2017 Video Edition